Sports massage in Wokingham, Berkshire
Sports massage or soft tissue therapy is the scientific manipulation of soft tissue for injury prevention and therapeutic purposes involving the restoration to normal functional activity of the various structures of the body. It is used to help prevent injuries, to prepare the body for athletic activities and to maintain it in optimal condition. Massage can be used in all the conditioning and training phases of sport: pre-, inter- and post-competition, and post travel. Sports Massage Therapists treat clients. Although sport can be a common factor with many of our clients, you do not need to be sporty to benefit from sports massage.
Sports massage therapy is not only for sports people; anyone can benefit from this type of therapy including people in physically demanding jobs, those with musculoskeletal pain or dysfunction caused by any of life's stresses and from all walks of life. Occupational, emotional and postural stress can produce many characteristics found in sports injuries.
There are many possible benefits from soft tissue therapy several of which are described in detail below but in short they include:
- Relieve muscle pain, spasm and correct muscle imbalance
- Deactivate trigger points
- Improve range of movement and flexibility
- Breakdown scar tissue and adhesions
- Improve muscle tone
- Improve posture and increase posture awareness
- Identify possible causes and help to prevent injury
- Speed up recovery and aid rehabilitation
- Promote relaxation and mental preparation
- Prevention and early detection of possible injury
- Can form part of a training programme designed to optimise performance
- Correct dysfunctional movement patterns
- Increase feeling of well-being
- Tension and stress relief
We don't offer a aromatherapy massage, a thai massage from our clinic or an oil massage.
Laura Gilbert OSSM Dip MISRM
I am a fully qualified massage therapist specialising in deep tissue and sports massage. I trained at the prestigious Oxford School of Sports Massage where I qualified with a BTEC Level 5 Professional Diploma in Clinical Sports and Remedial Massage. Sports massage is not only for sports people; anyone can benefit from this type of therapy including people in physically demanding jobs, those with musculoskeletal pain or dysfunction caused by any of life's stresses and from all walks of life. Occupational, emotional and postural stress can produce many characteristics found in sports injuries. My training and experience have provided me with the ability to tailor each treatment to the individual and their specific needs.
I also offer taping and strapping:
- Taping for joint stability on all major joints - ankle, knee, shoulder, elbow, wrist, hand
- Taping for injury support during the rehabilitation phase
- Acute injury management utilising compression
- Management of specific problems such as ligament injuries, joint sprains, plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis and patellofemoral pain